Home base for mental well-being: why is it important to seek help for mental health?
The MIND 24-7 Team | February 2, 2024
In the last blog of our series on mental health goals for the New Year, we talk about the importance of having a mental health provider home base—a dedicated place for your mental well-being. Having a mental health provider home base is like having a primary care physician for your physical health. Just as regular physical checkups are essential for overall health, having a consistent mental health provider improves long-term well-being. Let’s discuss why it is important to seek help for mental health and how to find a mental health provider.
Why should you see a mental health provider regularly?
A study published in the Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research shows that people who have a consistent mental health provider are 50% more likely to get timely and helpful support, lowering the risk of severe mental health issues. Let’s look at the benefits of regularly seeing a mental health provider.
- Continuity of care: This is an important goal in the medical and mental health fields. Continuity of care describes the excellent care that can happen when providers know the patient well and all the different providers who are helping the patient talk to one another. Seeing a mental health provider regularly means they can get to know you and work smoothly with other providers who can help you on your way to improved mental health.
- Proactive checkups: Think of it like seeing your primary care doctor for regular checkups. Just as routine physicals can help detect and address concerns early on, regular visits to a mental health provider can help you stay healthy and tackle any challenges that arise before they become big problems.
- Build trust: Developing a trusting relationship with a mental health provider takes time. Regular visits allow you to get comfortable and open up, so they can really help you on your journey.
- Personalized support: Your mental health needs are unique, and your treatment plan should be unique, too. Regular visits allow your provider to really get to know you. This makes it easier for them to tailor your therapy and support to your specific needs and goals so you get the best care possible.
- Tracking progress: Regular mental health checkups can help you and your provider monitor how well treatment is working. This allows for changes to be made if needed, helping you stay on track towards your goals.
How to find a mental health provider
Here are some tips to help you find a mental health provider near you.
- Think about what you need: Everyone’s mental health changes over time. While you may need one type of care today, tomorrow may be a different story. To cover all your bases, look for a mental health provider offering different services. At MIND 24-7, we offer three different types of care: express walk-in care, urgent crisis care, and ongoing counseling.
- Check your insurance: To avoid financial stress down the road, make sure the provider accepts your insurance or offers flexible self-pay options. Here at MIND 24-7, we want to make accessing mental health care as easy and stress-free as possible. That’s why we accept most health insurance providers as well as Medicare and Medicaid plans. We offer self-pay options, and we will never turn a patient away because they can’t afford our services.
- Consider convenience: When you need mental health care, it is important that hardly any barriers stand in your way. That’s why convenience is key. At MIND 24-7, we offer multiple locations in the Phoenix area. Plus, we are open 24/7/365, even on holidays.
Choose MIND 24-7 as your mental health provider
MIND 24-7 offers not just walk-in services but a potential home base for your mental health needs.
Through Express care, we offer walk-in mental health services for patients who want to see a certified professional and quickly be on their way. Through Crisis care, we provide walk-in emergency treatment for children and adults. Through Progressions, we provide ongoing individual and group counseling and peer support for patients for up to 90 days. Our mental health care services include physical and psychiatric evaluation, medication review and refill, care planning, referrals, and lab services (when needed).
We currently have several locations in the Phoenix area, open every day of the year, all hours of the day and night, including holidays.
For help with a mental health evaluation and to get same-day mental health care, visit one of our convenient locations or text/call 1-844-MIND247.